Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Honest Truth

I guess I should have felt nothing but encouraged when, after landing here on my first day, Principal Yu told me: “We discussed, and you are much more handsome than your picture. We were worried you would be very fat. But, in fact, you are very cute.”

In a save-face culture, the honest truth is seen as a compliment. Very often, the Koreans do not tell me—or each other, for that matter—how they really feel. If a situation or conversation might make either of us feel ashamed or embarrassed, everyone just makes nice or plays dumb. If I ask a question, and they tell me, “I don’t know,” it may actually mean: “I know, but I will not tell you in fear of things becoming awkward.” Some days, it feels like I am a character in the Truman Show.

Beside the language gap, this kind of culture can also create communication issues. For instance, when planning a dinner, everyone will say “yes” to your invitation. They may have no intention of coming. They just don’t want to make you feel bad, or they don’t want to appear unwilling. Never mind that I walk two miles to get groceries, then slave over a meal for an hour, only to eat dinner alone that night.

Though my second week here, in the middle of a snow storm, Young Gwang volunteered to drive me to my then-home. I had told him it was unnecessary, as it was only a few blocks away. He insisted, so I got in his car. After we started down the street, he looked at me and said: “This is my first time of driving in snow! I am a beginner driver.” Sometimes, you just don’t want to hear the truth…

…

At times, it is hard for me to share the whole truth about life overseas. I don’t want to seem unappreciative. After all, many people feel that traveling the globe and experiencing new cultures is “the adventure of a lifetime!” Moreover, I am here as a missionary. To “complain” may come across as a lapse in faith—or as blatant sin.

A support network can also mistake total honesty to mean, “You have forgotten that God has a plan and that we love you!” This misunderstanding has happened both in my time overseas and my time back in the States. I want to assure you—I do not seek to blame. If I do know two things that are without-a-doubt true, they would be: 1.) the Triune God is real and 2.) I am immeasurably loved by Him and the people He put in my life.

But, being loved does not exempt me from days of discouragement, loneliness, and heart ache. In fact, the reason why I would share my struggles aloud (whether in person, via phone, via email, or even this blog) is meant to be a compliment. It is meant to say: I trust that you love me, care for me, and will pray for me—to the God who sees and responds to my tears. It’s an acknowledgment that I am not truly alone in this journey.

I remember when Stephen Smith (who runs the amazing ministry called The Potter’s Inn) came to lead the spiritual retreat for our team in China. He began by speaking on Paul’s example in 2 Corinthians 1:1-11, where even the great Apostle doesn’t want the saints to “be ignorant of his afflictions in Asia.” Steve then went on to share a quote from Amy Carmichael, a gifted writer and missionary to India, who wrote in her book Things as They Are: “Be careful with the truth.” I have never forgotten that.

Here is some of the honest truth about leaving your home country. Culture shock can feel like losing a loved one. It carries a weight of grief and a sense of identity crisis. You recognize that you are losing a cultural frame of reference. You no longer have a firm definition of “home.” As a Christian, this can be a good thing—to find your identity more in Christ and embrace your citizenship in heaven. But it is still a process of “dying to self,” and it frankly feels like death. I often refer back to a prayer in my journal, when I wrote: “Lord, when I don’t know who I am or where I belong, remind me, O God, that you are the Great I Am, and that I belong to You.”

You also have to change or abandon aspects of personality to “fit in” your new host country and to make friends. Sarcasm is largely lost on Asians. In fact, some people groups do not even have a word for that concept—to “jokingly say what you don’t mean to communicate what you really mean.” They think: Huh?

My mom was spot on when she wrote to me: “It's got to be a bummer when no one will talk to you or you can't read a grocery label. Conforming to a new culture means you have to act differently than you normally would—they might not ‘get’ your dry wit!”

It may be a surprise to some that I have encountered prejudice and racism in my travels. I don’t just mean against others—I mean, against me. I have been spit on, yelled at, and cursed repeatedly. I had a man throw a beer bottle at my feet, telling me to “go home.” I have forgiven, but I haven’t forgotten. I have a whole new empathy for minorities and immigrants, because I am one now. I know what it’s like to be “boxed in” by stereotypes and never given a fair chance to make a clean first impression. I am always having to overcome preconceived notions about my American beliefs and practices. I am certain that my future views on immigration will be colored by my own experience.

Steve Smith also compared the missionary life to the opening line in A Tale of Two Cities: “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness.” Indeed, you have to learn that, in your heart, there is room enough to feel a paradox of emotions. Some days you feel like this: “I hate this place. The people are getting on my nerves. The food is terrible. The culture is confusing. The language is hard. I could honestly stay here forever!” That last statement comes by the grace of God. I am often surprised with joy that even in pain and confusion there is still a wellspring of faith, hope, and love.

When you travel for the purpose of helping others, you also see the immense amount of need that exists in the world. You carry with you a sacred sorrow. You want to develop a passion that turns into a plan of action. However, it can sometimes paralyze you. You think to yourself: “Where will I begin? And how will I get it done?” I have come to peace with loving one person at a time, however imperfectly. But you still struggle with the feeling of “more, more…I must do more.” I try to take that to God in prayer.

This past week was full of shattered expectations. Nothing went “according to plan.” It was a week of hurt feelings, of misunderstandings, of culture clash, of messy emotions, of unfulfilled longings, of spiritual battles. I felt lonely. I share this as a compliment to you, my dear friends. Would you just “sit with me” for a while in this? Because I know we all look forward to better days, to answered prayers, to perfect freedom in Him, to glorified union with Him—together. Until then, let’s be careful with the truth.

10 comments:

  1. Paul,

    Thanks so much for sharing your stories and struggles with us. I am honored to read your words and truly sense the nearness of the Lord whenever i read or hear you sharing what He is doing in your life. In Dallas, i feel so many times we are stuck in the land of the "comfortably numb" and don't know how long the Lord has us here for. Joshua and i were just talking the other night about how we don't fit in and feel like strangers in a foreign country. Blake preached this morning and talked about how in Dallas, everyone's all about pursuing Glamour, but rarely truly about pursuing godliness.

    But How much more so for you when there is so much going on behind the scenes culturally that you are just beginning to learn?? It's interesting to me that you sound homesick, not for DFW but for Home with our Father. i am not sure of your music taste, but "Soon and very soon" song is so encouraging and gives perspective that this world truly is not our home. Thank you for the refreshing reminders that you are on the front lines of the battlefield and need prayers of protection, just as much as we need prayers of awakening. We miss you here in Dallas. I have attached a prayer that you surely are very familiar with, but through my 2 year 'dark night of the soul', became much more meaningful. Hope they encourage you as well.

    God, grant us the serenity to accept
    the things that cannot be changed,
    Courage to change the things
    which can,
    and the Wisdom to distinguish
    the one from the other.
    Living one day at a time,
    Enjoying one moment at a time,
    Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
    Taking, as Jesus did,
    This sinful world as it is,
    Not as I would have it,
    Trusting that You will make all things right,
    If I surrender to Your will,
    So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
    And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

    Thanks for sharing. Your sister in Christ,
    Kimberley Cottongim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Paul, for what it's worth -- ministry is ministry everywhere. I have felt these exact emotions (in your words: "I hate this place. The people are getting on my nerves. The food (or lack thereof) is terrible. The culture is confusing.") in my home group!! Building community is hard everywhere because no one really wants to tell you who they are, what they feel or what they think about you. Maybe we just can't handle the truth? And, as you have so eloquently preached, one can be lonely anywhere. Thanks for reminding us to pray for you and we do -- daily and sometimes more. These people need you, otherwise the Lord wouldn't have moved you there. But it sounds like you might need some familiar community. Are there other American missionaries over there? Do you hang out with them on occasion? If not I'm praying that the Lord brings you in contact with some who can provide a little "home" away from home. Love and miss you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul - You have hit the nail on the head with these sentiments about living overseas in a foreign and misunderstood (from your perspective) culture. We do indeed find blessing in hanging with other Americans and need as many tastes of home as we can get to
    keep us healthy emotionally (like Slim Jims, CSI, Dexter, Switchfoot, and state fair days we manufacture in Kijabe, Kenya). Yet even if I don't belong here, I want nothing to do with going home for long.

    What brings me joy is to survive and even grow through suffering in new ways, and to be part of things unspeakably beautiful and sad at the same time. Sometimes when we go to the orphanage site and see the building going up, and the sad faced kids in need, and the blue blue sky all at once...we sometimes just find tears coming that we cannot explain in words. God is more to be found in letting go of a pattern of comfort and reliability of circumstances, rather than in holding on to it. But one cannot know that without suffering the tearing loose from the ordinary like you are feeling.

    I am still afraid often, and nothing can make that go away fully. Did I do the right thing in coming? Why am I really here? Have I put enough money away that I can provide for my family without a paying job?

    There is a song by Radiohead that affects me more than most Christian songs, called Fake Plastic Trees. The line that gets me is:

    But I can't help the feeling
    I could blow through the ceiling
    If I just turn and run

    Man have I found it great to be on the full run (not walking), and to know life above the ceiling I once let hold me down.

    You keep suffering well, because that is helping me here more than you think. I really enjoy your blogs.

    Jesus is better

    Bob Mendonsa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie and I are praying for you, my friend. We miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, my heart is heavy for you and overjoyed that you are clinging to Christ through this season. When I read your words, I read life; I see a man who hopes in our Sovereign God through all things and encourages and edifies the saints thousands of miles away.
    I love you brother. I'm immensely grateful for you.
    bleecker

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Sitting with you," praying to our God and King for you, love from a sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul, I remember when I moved to the states, and how hard it was for me, and we spoke the same language and ate the same food, and yet culturally our countries are so different. I have been in the states now for 6 years and I can honestly say that this is my home, at least for now until the Lord takes me to my real home. I will pray for you and will read your blog regularly so that I know what is going on with you and how I can lift you up. You are very much loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul,

    You have been gifted with a way of saying things that everyone feels -- especially those who have lived overseas. As much as I missed friends and family and drive-thru's and real Tex-Mex, I have those same feelings here, for China. I wish I had someone to speak Chinese with. I'd love to go to Jim's for dinner with a large group and laugh and talk and use the crepe paper napkins. I miss our lunches after school. Here I eat lunch alone at my desk or alone out while studying. The only thing it really shows is that life is a roller coaster ride, no matter where you are living it. Knowing part of what God has planned for the next part of my life doesn't make the schooling part not feel like waiting in line to get on, or climbing and climbing that hill to the top. Praise God that we get to ride over and over and over...

    Looking forward to your next visit to the States.

    Love & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul, I admire your openness to share the true picture of what life is like in Korea. I will never forget our last conversation where you said you felt like the Lord was leading you to a Hebrews 11 sort of life. But not the beginning of Hebrews 11, the later part; Where persecution set in, suffering mocking and flogging, and even chains of imprisonment. The crazy thing is I admire you conviction to allow, (with God’s grace of course) to lead you down the road less traveled. In your sufferings you get to experience God in a way most Christian’s never will. You get to partake in what Paul would say in Colossians 1 “Christ sufferings”…which in the end leads to more of Him; the greatest longing of our hearts. Below is one of my favorite Mercy Me songs, it was between this song or your all time favorite HSU sing songs “Love Stinks.” But I figured Mercy Me might speak a little more truth and encouragement. I am and will be praying for you.
    Only You Remain" Mercy Me

    Only One never having a beginning
    Only One who reigns when everything is ending
    High above
    Glorious and true

    We sing, Holy, the only uncreated One
    Holy, the Light that was before the sun
    You shine
    And even when the stars have left the sky

    You remain
    Even when the earth is shaken
    You remain
    Even when our kings have fallen
    Every mountain standing tall will crash into the sea
    You were, You are, You will be
    Only You remain

    Only One who stood before the universe
    Only One authored life with just a word
    Lord of all
    There is none like You

    [Bridge:]
    Eternal
    Immortal
    Forever the same
    (You remain)

    ~ Julie Brandt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing this Paul. I can relate to you so much even though I haven't left for Czech yet. We are in training and learning exactly what you are speaking of. I know it is ahead and I do understand what you are going through. There have been many moments in training where I am like "what the heck am I doing?" and then some alumni will share about an amazing God story and I think, "this is why". I definately feel overwhelmed at times when I think about the spiritual status of most Czechs...but like you say every little bit helps.
    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete