Thursday, February 23, 2012

Filled With the Spirit to…Make Art?

Christians, the next time you see an artist, go ahead and give them a hug. At the very least, if you or they aren’t the hugging type, offer up some words of encouragement. I dare say that the Church has not always been kind to them, and the local church has not always been a safe place for them.

Artists make us think. They encourage us to see through new eyes—to take a second look at the world, our lives, and our perceptions— to perhaps see in a different way. This has been both their blessing (to us) and their curse (from us). They get us “outside our box,” where we get too comfortable.

Lately, I have been challenged to think by two great artists. And, interestingly enough, their work is in recorded in the Bible. Their names are Bezalel and Oholiab. They were called by God to design, build, and decorate the Tabernacle. Here is their story:

The LORD said to Moses, “See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold, silver, and bronze, in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, to work in every craft. And behold, I have appointed with him Oholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan. And I have given to all able men ability, that they may make all that I have commanded you: the tent of meeting, and the ark of the testimony, and the mercy seat that is on it, and all the furnishings of the tent, the table and its utensils, and the pure lampstand with all its utensils, and the altar of incense, and the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils, and the basin and its stand, and the finely worked garments, the holy garments for Aaron the priest and the garments of his sons, for their service as priests, and the anointing oil and the fragrant incense for the Holy Place. According to all that I have commanded you, they shall do.” (Exodus 31:1-11 ESV)

Then Moses said to the people of Israel, “See, the LORD has called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah; and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold and silver and bronze, in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, for work in every skilled craft. And he has inspired him to teach, both him and Oholiab the son of Ahisamach of the tribe of Dan. He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver—by any sort of workman or skilled designer. Bezalel and Oholiab and every craftsman in whom the LORD has put skill and intelligence to know how to do any work in the construction of the sanctuary shall work in accordance with all that the LORD has commanded.” (Exodus 35:30 - 36:1 ESV)

And Moses called Bezalel and Oholiab and every craftsman in whose mind the LORD had put skill, everyone whose heart stirred him up to come to do the work. And they received from Moses all the contribution that the people of Israel had brought for doing the work on the sanctuary. They still kept bringing him freewill offerings every morning, so that all the craftsmen who were doing every sort of task on the sanctuary came, each from the task that he was doing, and said to Moses, “The people bring much more than enough for doing the work that the LORD has commanded us to do.” So Moses gave command, and word was proclaimed throughout the camp, “Let no man or woman do anything more for the contribution for the sanctuary.” So the people were restrained from bringing, for the material they had was sufficient to do all the work, and more. (Exodus 36:2-7 ESV)

Here are three ways that their story and example makes me see differently:

I see that every skill is honored in God’s kingdom. God has given each person unique gifts and talents. And we are far too quick to forget those who work with their hands. We do not encourage them enough to use their gifts. We do not equip them with opportunities to serve or further their training, in ways that glorify God. We do not enrich their worship by incorporating all senses into our gatherings—sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. God has called and equipped artists, cooks, musicians, craftsman, carpenters, fashion designers, interior decorators, etc.—and He has filled them with His Spirit to do their God-given work. Why do we—no, why do I assume that a filling of the Spirit only relates to preaching, teaching, and miracle-working? His Spirit also fills us to create with our hands, in our Creator’s image.

I see that we have something to learn from every person who serves His kingdom. These two men were, in a sense, blue-collar workers. The work of the Spirit is not just a white-collar business. God calls us all to build His temple (encourage one another), shepherd the sheep (love each other), fish for men (share our faith), and reap the harvest (make disciples). So we swing the hammer, cast the line, and sow the seed! Jesus beckons us to get our hands dirty. He himself laid on hands, anointed with oil, washed feet, and played with kids. Why then do our churches seek and call elders who are mostly published authors, accomplished speakers, and successful businessmen? What about the factory worker who loves the Lord, the homebuilder who leads his family well, the poor man whose riches are found in the Word (not the world)? We have much to learn from the farmer, the fisherman, the fashion designer, and the field-hand. We need them to understand the fullness of Christ’s teachings, actually.

I see that God is going to redeem every industry for His kingdom. Isn’t it interesting that the most buzz about theology this past year has been created by a quarterback (Tim Tebow) and a basketball player (Jeremy Lin)? I think it’s awesome that God has called them by name and filled them with His Spirit. They are making people think. They are getting people to talk about God. I do not believe that they win games just because they are Christians. But, I do believe that God has given them skills to represent His image and expand His kingdom in industries (in this case, sports) that need Him. I believe they work hard to honor God in their fields. And I think they have been given favor and a platform because of Him.

My sister asked me the other day: “How many Jeremy Lins have been overlooked because we keep looking for talent in the same places, in the same old ways?” It made me think—how many industries and talents do we overlook, as the body of Christ, because we don’t think with a kingdom mentality?

Tim Keller said that an important part of his job as pastor is to listen. He believes that, whatever we do, we must do it to the glory of God (1 Cor 10:31). So, he sits with his people, and he listens and learns. He says: “I know about the Bible and ministry. You know about your industry. Let’s teach each other. Then let’s brainstorm together how you can use your platform to glorify God and share the gospel.”

Perhaps we shouldn’t be shocked, but rather excited when a runner like Eric Liddell sits in front of us at church and says: “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.” And perhaps we would understand so much more about God if we embraced that a poor black woman is just as much in God’s image as a rich white man. And perhaps our worship would be so much God-glorifying if we opened our arms and church doors to “everyone whose heart stirred up to come to do the work.” More than just open arms, we also actively sought them out and provided them with all they needed, to do what God has called them to do—just like Israel did for their artists.

If you are inspired to think more about this topic, thanks to Bezalel and Oholiab, I would encourage you to consider a few more questions. My friend Vernon Burger at His Voice Global has been challenging me with this thought: Am I a church person or a Kingdom person? This quote by Howard Snyder may help. Author Donald Miller also asks: Who should lead the Church—plumbers or scholars? This blog may serve too. You may not agree. That’s okay. If anything, my prayer is simply that we’d see that the church is not just a place for ivory towers, but also for work benches and easels. And then go, hug some artists.

8 comments:

  1. well, Paul the good Lord has given you great talents too. To be able to think outside the box and write such loving blogs.

    Proud to be your Aunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite articles of all time, so much so that I go back and reread it once every few months, is a New York Times article called "The Case for Working with Your Hands" (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?pagewanted=all).

    A writer friend of mine left evangelical circles and entered the orthodox church after much angst and wrestling, but his first curiosity was aroused by the fact that they've done a great job of retaining beauty and artistry in their culture (so while we disagree on theology, we agree on the need for art in Gospel context). His complaint was that there was no place in his evangelical church where people didn't cock an eyebrow and purse their lip when he named his occupation. "Yes, but what do you DO?" was their response, as though writing beautiful prose (and getting paid fancily for it!) wasn't legitimate enough.

    I'm a graphic designer by day and writer by night, and it is an uphill battle the whole way to feel like anyone understands the need for art or writing beyond its use for marketing. It's a dog-eat-dog world and the one place I want to find peace from that is within the Church, but it's not always there.

    Anyway, thanks for writing this—and for the encouragement to hug! Sometimes that's all it takes to feel the push to keep going, farther up, further in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lore, thanks for sharing! Come claim your hug, when you see me next. I pray more churches will embrace this filling of God's Spirit to make art, for themselves and others.

      I just read a good book by Jon Acuff called "Quitter." He did a similar thing--marketing by day, writer by night. I think you'd enjoy it too!

      Delete
  3. Paul - God has given you a powerful ability in the pulpit, in spite of your nerves.

    I praise him for how much I learned from and enjoyed your sermons - thanks for your hard work and courage - you're a legend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Rohan. Thanks for your encouragement. God bless!

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed this blog. (Not enjoying the procrastination insomnia that led to me finding it...but I'm glad I did!)

    I lived in Hollywood for six years and there is a definite stigma of anything coming from Christians in the art world as being subpar. My goal for myself and my encouragement to other Christian artists is to seek excellence, which I believe glorifies God. There is so much detailed beauty in creation, and I think God definitely reveals Himself through art.

    I am happy to say that there are wonderful churches out in LA that support, encourage, and love artists.

    Now...I have to stop writing and finish packing because in four hours I have to hop on a very small plane (seriously...I think I'm flying Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.) to, actually, perform my craft. (I'm a comedian--that's sort of an art, right? I can only draw stick figures so I had to compensate in some other area.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! And your comedy is definitely an art! You are hilarious :)

      Delete