I recently wrote a review
for The Jesus Life by author (and friend) Stephen Smith. I had enjoyed every page. This passage about “the way
of hiddenness,” in particular, spoke to me:
Jesus lived an obscure and anonymous life, and there’s something in that for us to learn…Such a hidden life seems like a waste in this day and age. But learning to embrace obscure seasons and hidden years yields a richness in our lives that frees us from the demands to be applauded and to be elevated to a status we may not even want because it would disrupt the quality of an anonymous life.
A hidden life, an obscure season, a yielded richness—this is where I
am. And it has been a lesson in patience:
“Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the
farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until
it receives the early and the late rains” (James 5:7).
Lately, I have seen some signs of life—some precious fruit. You see, I pray that God would bless my writing, my serving, and my speaking. He has been doing so. And I don’t want this to be about self-promotion, but about joint celebration. I am excited to share with you some things He’s been up to in my life… (Click green links.)
I was asked to guest post for a great website geared toward single Christians. I chose to write about a topic that’s dear to me—the difference between being alone and being lonely. You can check out my post today at SingleRoots.
Last month, my friend Lore asked me to guest post on the topic of rest while she was away on sabbatical. It was a joy to do so. The post can still be viewed at Sayable.
This month, the Waco Regional Baptist Association interviewed me about my church, Hilltop Christian Fellowship. The article can be read on the home page of the WRBA website, on the right side, entitled “The Body of Believers.”
A friend of mine took one of my tweets and crafted this picture, along with the quote. I was so honored that he shared this online. You can share it on Facebook as well.
Lately, I have seen some signs of life—some precious fruit. You see, I pray that God would bless my writing, my serving, and my speaking. He has been doing so. And I don’t want this to be about self-promotion, but about joint celebration. I am excited to share with you some things He’s been up to in my life… (Click green links.)
I was asked to guest post for a great website geared toward single Christians. I chose to write about a topic that’s dear to me—the difference between being alone and being lonely. You can check out my post today at SingleRoots.
Last month, my friend Lore asked me to guest post on the topic of rest while she was away on sabbatical. It was a joy to do so. The post can still be viewed at Sayable.
This month, the Waco Regional Baptist Association interviewed me about my church, Hilltop Christian Fellowship. The article can be read on the home page of the WRBA website, on the right side, entitled “The Body of Believers.”
A friend of mine took one of my tweets and crafted this picture, along with the quote. I was so honored that he shared this online. You can share it on Facebook as well.
Finally, on a funny note, I got to cross an item off the bucket list—winning
a caption contest! I entered the contest
for Athlon Sports (a popular Sports publication) via Twitter. The picture is here...
My caption was: “Say it ain’t so, Shirtless Joe!” It’s a play on Shoeless Joe Jackson. You can read more about the history of the
original quote (“Say it ain’t so, Joe!”) on Wikipedia. Eventually, my name and caption will be
featured on the Tweet This Caption contest site, updated around June 15.
All of this, and more, has been like seeing sprouts come from the ground, after a season of preparing the soil and planting the seed. Perhaps it’s still the early rains. Regardless, it’s precious fruit to me. Thanks for sharing in it!
All of this, and more, has been like seeing sprouts come from the ground, after a season of preparing the soil and planting the seed. Perhaps it’s still the early rains. Regardless, it’s precious fruit to me. Thanks for sharing in it!
Loved your post on Single Roots. God bless, from Frisco.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Shannon! BTW, my sister lives in Frisco too! I appreciate you stopping by here at the blog as well. Blessings ~ Paul
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you and the fruit that is coming from your faithful labor. It is a good reminder that God is for us.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kristin! It was helpful to visit Homestead Heritage to get visible pictures of biblical parables (patience, fruit, etc)! :)
DeletePaul, What a great page to read today! Shirtless, Joe is hilarious! Enjoyed reading Single Roots, Sayable, and I tagged to post your soapbox pic. But, most of all, I identified with your "obscure season" article. God has called me to a place that is much different than the past. I am pressing into Him, watching, waiting and hoping. Your article is an encouragement! Thank you! Barb
ReplyDeleteBarb, I am so blessed that ministered to you, as it has me, and I'm praying for you in this season! I cannot recommend enough the book, The Jesus Life, & know that this season will bear beautiful & precious fruit.
DeletePaul,
ReplyDeleteI was raised in the church, but struggled with strong doubt and a hesitance to give up myself and my own desires to God. I was waiting for that "feeling" people always said they got when Jesus lived in their hearts. Even at my closest with God, the feelings I had were superficial, fading quickly as the worship songs wrapped up. It was gone by noon. I tried to pray and study God's word and continually wondered why he wouldn't show himself to me. Why he wouldn't fill my heart with the joy and love I saw in others. A few nights ago I was laying in bed thinking of nothing in particular when a thought that was not my own came out of my minds voice. "I won't reveal myself to you until your life is fit for me." There it was in mental surround sound. A first person perspective statement completely unlike any thought I might have conjured myself. I know that God sent Jesus so we wouldn't have to be perfect, but it made perfect sense to me. Jesus had been there all along, but I wouldn't be able to feel Him until I strove to live a life that glorified Him.
I have been joyful and thirsty for Him since that moment and I found so much joy in the sermons on the Village app dating back to 2006. I've listened to countless hours of teachings by you and Matt and Beau, but the subjects that you chose to speak about were close to my heart. Loneliness and Gluttony have ruled my life for a long time and now I know it's a heart problem. I feel so hopeful that I can really address these issues biblically and begin to conquer them as much as possible.
God really pressed you on my heart this week. I've thanked God for you, and wanted to thank you personally for the light that you are shining and the life that you are living. the words that you spoke six years ago have made an impact on me. I wanted you to know that you reach so many people.
Thank you,
Kimberly Whittle
Facebook.com/kimygal
Galvan.Kim@gmail.com
Kimberly, THANK YOU so much for finding me and sharing. Wow, I am so blessed to hear this. I was reminded of Jeremiah 29:13 -- "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." May God continue to fill you with all joy, even as you press on for more of Him. Blessings!
DeleteAhhh Paul...I just read your blog for the first time because I wanted to see what you'd written for Sharon's family. And then I started backtracking through your posts and guess what. The Kimberly from the comment above is my cousin! I also ran into Jacob Combs at BU Homecoming and he says y'all know each other...the world is too small!
ReplyDeleteMiss you,
Rachael Johnson