Sunday, July 9, 2017

Finding the Light in the Dark


If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, 
and the light about me be night,” 
even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day, 
for darkness is as light with you. 
Psalm 139:11-12

I love documentaries. Especially those about the ocean depths.  Experts say we know more about space than we do the depths of the oceans and our planet core.

I was watching one show where they sent exploration crafts to the bottom of a sea, expecting that they would find utter nothingness.  It was assumed that in the absence of light and the life-giving process of photosynthesis, nothing could survive.  However, when they arrived at the bottom… there was not only life… it was teeming.

There was abundance.  And it was discovered that chemosynthesis (using energy derived from reactions involving inorganic chemicals) also brought about life.  Hence, maybe the creation story wasn’t so crazy after all—there could still be life before the fourth day.

And all this got me thinking about the darkness we fear in our own journeys.  Not a day goes by that I don’t encounter a friend (new or old) facing prolonged singleness, isolation, or loneliness; sadness, hurting, or grief; change, separation, or uncertainty.

One of the greatest comforts I have found, and that I try my best to share, is that there is life in the unexpected places too. It may look different, even scary (have you seen the creatures they pull from there?), and the sources which sustain you may be surprising (not the sunshine above, but what’s bubbling up around)…

But we can find His light in our dark. We have a God who still loves and leads us on the unknown paths and the rough roads—when we feel blinded, afraid, surrounded by the fog.

He declares: “I will lead the blind in a way that they do not know; in paths that they have not known, I will guide them. I will turn the darkness before them into light, the rough places into level ground. These are the things I do, and I do not forsake them.” (Isaiah 42:16). 

Just as in the depths, where we might expect nothingness, God delights to reveal His glory—His handiwork, His artistry, His imagination—and it is often an unexpected sight.  Yet the deep (as Psalm 42:7 says) calls out to deep: “There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry, Mine!” (quote: Abraham Kuyper) 

It’s a little like Elijah—where the presence of God was not out in the earthquake, or the wind storm, or the fire.  Instead, the voice of God came to him in the darkness of the cave—that still, small voice amidst the solitude (1 Kings 19).  Or perhaps like where Elijah expected to find provision—at his feet, at the river, which soon dried up.  Rather, it came from the sky—where the ravens dropped it (1 Kings 17:6-7). We don’t always know where to look—only that God does indeed provide all that is necessary for life.

Nevertheless, it is true there is no life apart from the Son.  But here’s the amazing thing I’ve found—He is with us in the valley of the shadows too.  There is no place we can go or find ourselves, where His presence is not there with us.  The darkness is not dark to Him. The night is as bright as day. Deep cries out—He is here! Do not be afraid, for the dark is as light to Him.  Jesus is our light—and He is life. 

If you are feeling profoundly alone, sad, or uncertain today—know that I am praying for you. And that there is life in the dark. Even at the bottom, you can find abundance.

2 comments:

  1. I have also found comfort in this Psalm. Verse 8 "If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!" He goes before us even into the darkest places AND He can be found in the dark places. None of us want to be in these dark, scary places, but He is there and we can recognize Him.

    ReplyDelete