Saturday, April 24, 2010

Happy Suwon

When I arrived, a large sign read “Happy Suwon.” It is their city campaign, to be seen as a welcoming city. And so far, it is a great place to again be a “stranger in a foreign land.”

The people here are very respectful of authority figures. That includes teachers and pastors. I am here as both. Moreover, they have a penchant for serving. They offer to cook meals for me, buy me clothing and household needs, and drive me to various locations that may interest me. Some days, I think to myself—“Wow, I am lucky. I really enjoy all of this attention.” Other days, in the midst of culture shock, I find myself feeling—“Whoa, this is too much. Would you please leave me alone for a while?”

One night, while eating dinner, Principal Yu heard me request water from the waitress. (It is common for Koreans to drink only after their meal. More room for food, I guess. I, on the other hand, am used to drinks served before, during, and after. So, some times, I enjoy a bottle of water to “wash it all down.”) But she immediately looked hurt, and she said, “Why didn’t you tell me you were thirsty? It is my duty to make you happy.”

I have been thinking about that a lot lately. What really makes us happy? Is it really others’ job to make us happy? Is being happy a matter of circumstance—or exactly that…a state of being, flowing from character? After all, we don’t call it doing happy or owning happy. I read a good quote shared by the mother of an amazing family that said, “Don’t put the key to happiness in someone else’s pocket. Keep it in your own.”

One afternoon, at school, I met Grace’s father. She is the other teacher here, and he was on his way to a conference. He stopped by to say hello. Their family is originally from Hawaii. He now plans to plant a church in Daejeon city. I told him, “You are from such a beautiful place! Do you miss it?” His reply was genuine, though it could have sounded cliché, if he wasn’t a man of true faith. He said, “Hawaii is beautiful. South Korea is beautiful. Texas is beautiful. All places are beautiful when you know Jesus. He makes all things beautiful, because He lives in your heart.”

I had to take pause. I was reminded again of true happiness. It is not where you live, what you eat, how you look, who you know…unless it’s Him you know. For me, I may even have to take that “pocket” quote one step further. Perhaps it should say, “Keep it in His hands.” After all, knowing me, I am not sure that I am smart enough to figure out the right key on my own or, even if I was, responsible enough to keep up with it. I might lose it or keep trying to go through the wrong doors. He is the door (John 10:9). The good news for us—He will hand us the key if we ask (Matthew 16:19).

“You have made known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore” (Psalm 16:11). And so it is: In the days that I walk on His path, find my home in His presence, and seek the pleasure that comes from His right hand…Happy Suwon, indeed.

13 comments:

  1. Paul! Thanks so much for getting this up! I'm excited to hear more stories and see some pics! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first response to this wanted to be a sarcastic quip such as - "Texas is beautiful? Has this guy been here?" but in all seriousness, praise God for those saints who genuinely do not care if they sound cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Paul, for taking the time to blog about your adventures in S. Korea. I look forward to reading more of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great post. Did you ever start reading "Champagne for the Soul"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Paul! So glad we can continue this journey alongside you though from afar. May He be gracious to you and bless you, may His face shine upon you. We love you and are praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul! Look at you go, creating a blog! You're so tech-savy and with the times now.

    I heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing all God is doing there. It is a joy to read and to now know how to pray continually for your missin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great word. I miss and love you, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul...glad you're doing this and look forward to reading about all our great King does in you and through you in SK! You're loved and missed

    ReplyDelete
  10. My buddy! You are just up the road from us. Come over for some chilli on the weekend.
    How are you? I know you will be used mightily by the Lord there, you are a special man with His mission.
    Love you much, we will try to drop over there to visit before we move to London.
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul, Thanks for getting the blog up. It was great getting hear what is going on with you. Praying for you. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul! I was so excited when DJ told me about your blog! We miss you and hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul,

    I miss you my friend. Glad I get the chance to read about your journey from afar.

    ReplyDelete