Saturday, April 24, 2010

In All Seasons, He Is Evergreen…

Life took another turn for me as, while leading a trip to Kenya, I once again felt the call to serve overseas fanned into flame. So almost two years back from China, during a season of life best described as a “spiritual winter,” God has brought about a new season. I am now serving at Evergreen Church in Suwon, South Korea!

Regarding life here—I am the "missions" pastor, of sorts. We hope to engage South Koreans with the gospel, by providing English-speaking ministries. I am preaching the 2pm service every weekend. Plus, I am helping at the school, called English Village, teaching from 1-6pm every week day. The school was opened to bring in families from the community. Thus, I have also been inviting the families of my English students to attend our church, and I would appreciate prayers in that!

Church is a great experience. Though it is mostly all in Korean, there is a point where I feel the Spirit just show up and dwell with us. We begin with praise and worship. Then, it turns more formal, with hymns and the Apostle's Creed. A time of prayer and repentance precedes the sermon. And we close with the Lord's Prayer and a blessing. The services last about 1 hour. The first service is at 11am. We have lunch together as a body. Then, we join again for the 2pm service. It begins with praise and worship in English and Korean, then my sermon.

They are printing the church program with English headings now as well, so I can follow along just fine at the 11am. Grace (the other teacher at the school) is helping with translation for my sermons. They have also asked me to start a youth program for middle school and high school. I will start a Bible study on May 2. Some weekends, I help with outreach for the church (and advertising for the school). Also, I am getting ready for our first school program for the parents on April 30--where my students will be singing, acting, and reciting poems in English. It's keeping me busy!

Pastor Lee speaks good English, and he has been amazing. He is humble and kind. Hardworking for 25 years, he has a dignity about him, like a crown of faithfulness. Last week, he prayed: “Even in this cold winter, we know you will warm us with Your Spirit.” His sermon this past Wednesday night was simple, yet powerful—“Be satisfied. Share what you have.” I am grateful to have heard the prayers and petitions of saints from around the world.

Principal Yu is also a nice lady and the worship director. In Korea, the pastor is also the worship leader. So, she arranges the songs and readies the small orchestra. He and I lead the singing for our respective services. Yep, I am at a small church again, where the pastor does a little of everything. I am the associate pastor, missions guy, worship leader, youth minister…and, some times, janitor!

We have great lay leaders too. Elder Jung lived in Georgia for a while, and he and his wife speak great English. He may be one of the funniest people I have ever met, too. Also, I just moved to a new place with a great roommate--Young Gwang. His name is Korean for “glory.” So, I am now living in the House of Glory, as I call it! I enjoyed the first house, but having his company is even better! Everyone has been welcoming.

Please pray for Evergreen Church. When you do, please think of the passage from which we draw our name: “O Ephraim, what do I have to do with idols? It is I who answer and look after you. I am like an evergreen cypress; from me comes your fruit” (Hosea 14:8). In all seasons, may we seek Him who is evergreen!

1 comment:

  1. I am loving these updates and I am definately praying for you!

    ReplyDelete