Winter is quickly approaching here. That means the winds of change are again upon us. Mind you, I am enjoying having four real seasons here. Yet, I often find myself craving a sense of normalcy and stability within. I am learning that comes from embracing the truth that Jesus Christ is the same--yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).
Other changes are in store for me here, great and small. As such, I must eschew the poetic and pastoral for this blog, in favor of the purely practical. First of all, my American friends are gaining an extra hour of sleep tonight. However, we do not “fall back” here for daylight savings. Thus, I am now 15 hours ahead of Texas.
Also, I will be moving on November 24th. My roommate Young Gwang will be moving to Seoul to pursue his future. As such, I will be moving to a one-bedroom apartment close to my first address. I will once again be living alone, and I will greatly miss his fellowship.
Teacher Park is also moving on from our church and hakwon to begin a new ministry venture. It is an exciting time for her. She has been a good teacher and friend at the school. She has also been a huge blessing in ministry settings. She leads the worship and provides translation for our student Bible study. I have been teaching on the ABCs of God, to outline His character for our students. I will miss her as a co-laborer.
Another important change—I will likely not have internet at my new apartment, at least until the end of the year. That means that Skype calls and Facebook chats may not be options for a while. I will have internet at school. Yet, my hours there are 11am to 7pm. That puts internet access at the time when the US is largely asleep.
For those desiring to send packages or letters for the holidays, please do not send anything to my current address past November 10th. It takes about 10 days for things to arrive. I will send out my new address when it is confirmed by month end.
There will also be more transition for me in the coming year. I have come to a firm decision regarding my future here. Due to various factors, I will not be staying in South Korea past my year contract. That means my return trip in March will now become a transition back to the States. I have no idea what lies next at this point. I know I am “moving on” from here, but I don’t know what “going back” will look like. I ask that you pray for wisdom for my tomorrow, yet also for intentionality in my today.
Of course, I have also come to understand that change is the norm here, especially last minute. For example, we had another show for parents on Friday night. It went quite well. Yet, for one reason or another, seven students and their families decided not to attend the night. Fortunately, I have learned to adapt. This time, the show focused on individual poems and acts, as opposed to group plays. I have learned to make plans very flexible. In the end, it spared us from potential disarray.
There is no telling what may be in store for my remaining time here—which new faces may enter the picture and what new experiences will come. Please pray for a continued spirit of flexibility. Also, please pray for Young Gwang and Teacher Park as they follow the Lord’s will for their futures. Continue to pray for our church, Evergreen Church, and school, English Village. And, as the winds of change continue to buffet my life here, pray that I seek to build every day upon the Rock. With all my love ~ Paul
Ugh, I wish we had known earlier about your move Paul. Your mom sent a package out Friday and I know it won't get there by the 10th. Or are you making 10th the cut off date for sending stuff because it takes so long to get there?
ReplyDeleteI have heard through other people who were in the military that South Korea is extremely cold in the winter. Hope you have all the proper provisions and outer wear to see you through the next several months.
God bless you and keep you. Keep up the Good works and keep showing everyone your beautiful smile.
Love ya, Aunt D
Thanks for the clarifying question, Aunt D! November 10th is the cut-off date, if anyone plans to send something! If you already sent a package or letter, it should arrive before my moving date on November 24th. Also, if there is any issue, we know the people living here after us. So, it won't be a problem to retrieve any late mail!
ReplyDeletePaul, we will be praying for you as you enter your new season. And remember, Honduras could always use a new white person...just a thought.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the smile in your voice. I must admit that it usually takes me some time to embrace so much uncertainty. I cannot say that I am sad about the prospect of you being directed back to the US. We love you and will watch for a new address. My christmas card may have to come to you in an online version that you can view at an internet cafe because I know I will not have them out by the 10th. Peace, Cindy massengale
ReplyDeleteDearest Paul --I must say that we miss you here in the US. I miss not just pastoral call, but your bubbly laughter that overflows into all pieces of life. I pray that as you move, yet again, from one country 'back' to the U.S. that the Lord will reveal Himself mightily to you during this time. I pray that you will sense security and normalcy in Him regardless of where you are. Selfishly, I will be glad to see you. But know its more important for you to follow where the Lord leads. May the winds of change be warm winds that gently guide you to the next place.
ReplyDeleteLove ya my friend,
Sheila
Good to hear that you have some more specific plans. Love you.
ReplyDeleteI have loved following your insights into life as the Lord has been leading you in yet another season that has pressed you closer to Him. But I have to say, I am thrilled to have you coming back this way. May the Lord continue to lead you through this transition.
ReplyDeleteHey Paul, let me know when you're back in the US; I'd like to connect. All the best, Kevin
ReplyDeleteHey bro. Thanks for the update. Would love to chat with you some time. I'll certainly be praying for further clarity and vision for what God has in store for you.
ReplyDeleteMatt Elkins
Thanks for the update. God is good and remains faithful. Praying for you.
ReplyDeletePaul,
ReplyDeleteIm really gonna need that $5 you owe me when you get back.
Love you!
Clarke
Paul - praying for you and thinking of you often. Mande is here with us right now (yep, surprised me at the door on Friday night!) and we have talked more than once about how much we love you. Praying that God will continue to draw you in deeper as you face the curves in the road ahead. We live in a tiny house now, but there is always room for you should you need a little Kenya break!
ReplyDeleteHey Paul, Man thats alot of change, but if i know one thing about you is that you are resilient and unchanging in your faith and in your trust of the Lord Jesus Christ and Him piloting you through all things both great and small! I miss you bro, and i think about you all the time, and talk about you all the time as well! Love you buddy and miss you, and am looking forward to one day hopefully soon seeing your beautiful face!
ReplyDeleteDQ
we miss you paul and loved the update! excited for your move back to the states and will be asking the lord to give you wisdom and clarity as you plan your move back. let's try to get another skype date in before you are internetless!
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you guys during all the transition. May you find great rest in the fact that He is unchanging. Much Love...The Yens.
ReplyDelete